9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2016 2:29 AM by Moshe Blumberg RSS

certificate

Robert Vilhelmsen Wayfarer
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Is it possible to install our own certificate when running 3.5.4?

Regards

Robert

• Re: certificate
          Moshe Blumberg Adventurer

Hi Robert, you can use custom certificate with version 3.x

Here is the link to the guide for the install:

https://infosight.nimblestorage.com/InfoSight/media/cms/active/pubs_CLI_Administration_Guide.whz/eci1438791610546.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Moshe.

I tried .... I think there is a typo error in the documentation.

cert --gen custom-csr --subject '/C=US/ST=CA/L=San Jose/O=Nimble Storage/OU=Engineering/CN=AF106656' \ --dnslist group-kp-vma.nimblestorage.com,kp-vma.nimblestorage.com

should be?

cert --gen custom-csr --subject '/C=US/ST=CA/L=San Jose/O=Nimble Storage/OU=Engineering/CN=AF106656\' --dnslist group-kp-vma.nimblestorage.com,kp-vma.nimblestorage.com

Anyway ... running the above command do not output any CA signing request?

Did you use the same settings as copied above?

You should change the CN to your array dns.  >> We need to make sure CN field contains a FQDN.

Example:

Step 1 :  Create the certificate or CSR

NimbleOS $ cert --gen custom-csr --subject '/C=GB/ST=CAM/L=San Jose/O=Nimble Storage/OU=Engineering/CN=ts-emea-01-nimblestorage.com' --dnslist ts-emea-01-nimblestorage.com

NOTE :  Modern browsers like to check against the alternate subject name, so adding the dnslist parameter with whatever is the correct FQDN .

This will output a CERTIFICATE REQUEST which will look somthing like this:

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----

blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

-----END CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----

Copy that ouput and go through the process the Cetrificate Authoroty uses to generate public keys.

Step 2 : Import Custom CA cert into the array.

NimbleOS $ cert --import custom-ca

Copy the custom-ca certificate and press ^d.

Step 3 : Take the CSR generated in step 1 , input to a CA signing request and get the certificate ready to import to array.

NimbleOS $ cert --import custom

Paste the certificate and press ^d.

---START CERTIFICATE----

BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahRootCert

BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah

---END CERTIFICATE----

---START CERTIFICATE----

BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahIntermed

iateCertBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah

---END CERTIFICATE----

This works for me.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions at all.

Thanks,

Moshe.

Got it ... did not configure CN correct.

I´m using StartSSL, and i have imported the StartCOM root CA, https://startssl.com/root, and afterwords my own certificate from StartCOM.

My certificate gets imported, but I get a error saying, it cannot be verified.

cert --list shows:

custom-ca:  (Pending) /C=IL/O=StartCom Ltd./OU=Secure Digital Certificate Signing/CN=StartCom Certification Authority

I have tried to import StartCOM intermediate CA, but it fails.

It could be that you didn't copy the full certs, check out my added notes:

Step 1 :  Create the certificate or CSR

NimbleOS $ cert --gen custom-csr --subject '/C=GB/ST=CAM/L=San Jose/O=Nimble Storage/OU=Engineering/CN=ts-emea-01-nimblestorage.com' --dnslist ts-emea-01-nimblestorage.com

NOTE :  Modern browsers like to check against the alternate subject name, so adding the dnslist parameter with whatever is the correct FQDN .

This will output a CERTIFICATE REQUEST which will look somthing like this:

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----

-----END CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----

Copy that ouput and go through the process the Cetrificate Authoroty uses to generate public keys.

You might have 3 or more certificates in the chain. You will have a Root Certificate, a Intermediate Certificate and a Server Certificate.

Step 2 : Import Custom CA cert into the array.

**This command you will take first the Root Certificate, then the Intermediate Certificate and paste it where told in the following command:

NimbleOS $ cert --import custom-ca

Copy the custom-ca certificate and press ^d.

Step 3 : Take the CSR generated in step 1 , input to a CA signing request and get the certificate ready to import to array.

**At this point you would take ONLY the Server Certificate and past it in with the command below:

NimbleOS $ cert --import custom

Paste the certificate and press ^d.

---START CERTIFICATE----

BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahRootCert

---END CERTIFICATE----

---START CERTIFICATE----

BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahIntermed

iateCertBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah

---END CERTIFICATE----

I import StartCOM root CA successful with cert--import custom-ca

But when I try to import the intermediate startcom certificate with cert --import custom-ca, I get:

ERROR: Verify of the custom-ca certficate failed. Please provide a valid CA certificate.

The intermediate certificate is:

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

MIIF5TCCA82gAwIBAgIQJkO7MqFmSHrhnWx5xD/iZjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQsFADB9

MQswCQYDVQQGEwJJTDEWMBQGA1UEChMNU3RhcnRDb20gTHRkLjErMCkGA1UECxMi

U2VjdXJlIERpZ2l0YWwgQ2VydGlmaWNhdGUgU2lnbmluZzEpMCcGA1UEAxMgU3Rh

cnRDb20gQ2VydGlmaWNhdGlvbiBBdXRob3JpdHkwHhcNMTUxMjE2MDEwMDA1WhcN

MzAxMjE2MDEwMDA1WjB4MQswCQYDVQQGEwJJTDEWMBQGA1UEChMNU3RhcnRDb20g

THRkLjEpMCcGA1UECxMgU3RhcnRDb20gQ2VydGlmaWNhdGlvbiBBdXRob3JpdHkx

JjAkBgNVBAMTHVN0YXJ0Q29tIENsYXNzIDIgSVYgU2VydmVyIENBMIIBIjANBgkq

hkiG9w0BAQEFAAOCAQ8AMIIBCgKCAQEAnL29gjx6E467y4OsHo42TCn1rC7JXUnv

epzPE9KLbJiQi63JSLTr/QVGjhWFQBhqwXKlyTyBNGoOuV+yRoimqkPDdV6ZdnIn

RwmKAnVhvMVd2WXeqSJtq5STa2nuOnLTwYBnyVsOIo9YdnvFhDXAGjQ3hXWQIq00

f43XE8Fik+9EUG/oF7VLlIACAJnhotAj2dR2TvQmyBbEEN2PhLH3WANZklMbao2c

sASqSwyOmAB5+35nSagpMYuuVa4ZSnm2EaF8emLxiiFK5InCBZjRG4u+YLrEv7+m

KrnHOMVWkOE7mzKxtuHFYW2LRB++eJGLUdn1KiviZDS/ofOhIhfstwIDAQABo4IB

ZDCCAWAwDgYDVR0PAQH/BAQDAgEGMB0GA1UdJQQWMBQGCCsGAQUFBwMCBggrBgEF

BQcDATASBgNVHRMBAf8ECDAGAQH/AgEAMDIGA1UdHwQrMCkwJ6AloCOGIWh0dHA6

Ly9jcmwuc3RhcnRzc2wuY29tL3Nmc2NhLmNybDBmBggrBgEFBQcBAQRaMFgwJAYI

KwYBBQUHMAGGGGh0dHA6Ly9vY3NwLnN0YXJ0c3NsLmNvbTAwBggrBgEFBQcwAoYk

aHR0cDovL2FpYS5zdGFydHNzbC5jb20vY2VydHMvY2EuY3J0MB0GA1UdDgQWBBSU

3oVBKqXZRfZgLC5MkwmmLCN+PjAfBgNVHSMEGDAWgBROC+8apEBbpRdphzDKNGhD

0EGu8jA/BgNVHSAEODA2MDQGBFUdIAAwLDAqBggrBgEFBQcCARYeaHR0cDovL3d3

dy5zdGFydHNzbC5jb20vcG9saWN5MA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBCwUAA4ICAQC16kMuZh8h

lVsgzybaIix2qySQFU+rPgqSqeyrDSmJwpDbaKjwakm6LJ2DLX5MRFjNPCh+ArQf

CU1UUJa65n7UaQWt6q8kUwifHcIn+fFJdNV3N4zdvlKxwveqBSQZiXeIUO/hHr1U

i7Gw6s0On+K0fD9oNcgCRR3vPicB2frK7BhOFje6xowsWexxPfJHI69lCq73O7Ke

xXqp/V8f8uGF8L4KU3xW6RDG57RrXh5+LNxUQmZ2tIAaPyHTND5zbxff8Z/ZbgGG

HKbsuPkAUIG+bHpq5b6bf2x2NxMhqYSMI+GJJ9FmmiCV+P3+0ywBYGNhJkcFUYvo

SUduHz+/RXd6G/ejrvKp58rbZ9iCISLZjpo5gYEfLIl6IQJcZPM8FIWKLKhtIoKX

5ctNL3epV4DzIDZxLaSruEBQFeDQj6p/74pUYLQBP523anf6StXBtYgbfImRoIh4

I8L85aB/TUyLOJA/sKx/WFrXOxE9K4q+Pf5tq3gzZEchM/btMYn1cw1GPUt4nHya

zS52LrP0+Q77ao1Gza9svd8HE1NZ9NIVJO71QskqjxvGiTt048r4gLSXaM1zP2w9

nMsIw1IpxXE8h9UHAllgh8oNHno5I9nLfynbEhXxGy9RlfcLN/J8iOqyagfgxrUy

DPKMh5xGeLKMQSzjyQ1bV0WGC1JmJp+QDQ==

-----END CERTIFICATE-----