5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2016 12:16 PM by Curtis Stewart RSS

CS-1000 iSCSI direct connect to host servers

pcj Newbie
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Hi There,

I have a client who has a CS-1000 onsite and they want to direct connect to 2 HPE DL380Gen9s servers running Windows 2012 R2 DC. I want to see if direct connect is supported with FC or iSCSI.

Thank you!

• Re: CS-1000 iSCSI direct connect to host servers
          Nick Dyer Navigator

Hi Clayton,

We don't support direct attaching servers to the array regardless of whether it's FC or iSCSI. It technically would work, but things such as path failover and firmware upgrades would fail, meaning a bad user experience. Stick a switch in the middle and you're good to go.

• Re: CS-1000 iSCSI direct connect to host servers
              pcj Newbie

Hi Nick,

Thank you for replying, are you sure? I had contact email a Nimble contact of theirs, a Nimble Sr. Sales Engineer and the Nimble engineer said the following:

We only support direct connect on FC.  I don’t think we have a specific support/compatibility matrix since the array will work with anything that supports iSCSI or FC.

Server 2008-2016 (all versions) are supported with our plugin.  vSphere 4.x-6.0 are supported for the VMware plugin. Hopefully that helps.

I just want to make sure I am telling the client the right thing, i am all for tossing a switch in there, I just want to be accurate if I tell him we can't DC.