2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2016 9:22 AM by Joseph Kim RSS

Is there a better way to update NCM?

Brian Fish Newbie
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Hi folks,

I'm going through each of our vmware hosts manually to update the NCM on them.  We have 8 hosts total which is manageable, but how would you do it at a larger scale?  Or even at my scale, is there any way to save any time doing this?  Currently I'm just SSHing into each host and using the Online install command, but I'd like to imagine there is a more efficient way to get through them... any thoughts?

• Re: Is there a better way to update NCM?

Hi Brian,

You can use VMware Update Manager to install and upgrade NCM on ESXi hosts. VUM manages the orchestration per host / cluster.

You just need to download NCM and upload the package to VUM (or add the Nimble repository as a download source in VUM), and from there you can create a baseline or add NCM into an existing baseline, and then attach that baseline to hosts or clusters.

Cheers, Matt.

• Re: Is there a better way to update NCM?
            Joseph Kim Wayfarer

Hello Brian and all

We use VUM as well (VMware Update Manager), running on a simple windows machine.

Instead of downloading/importing the package, we enter in the URL for Nimble. This way you are FUTURE-PROOF.

Go into UPDATE MANAGER ADMINISTRATION on your vcenter.

Click on DOWNLOAD SETTINGS and DIRECT CONNECTION TO INTERNET

Click on ADD DOWNLOAD SOURCE

Enter Source URL as http://update.nimblestorage.com/esx6/ncm/index.xml

with Description as NIMBLESTORAGE

Hit OK button

Let that sync or force it to sync (your choice)

Next, is you create a baseline, add the NIMBLESTORAGE update, and scan your ESX Hosts.  If you hosts have it it will appear green, if it does not, it will have a red mark next to it.

Lastly you can do the remediate, (remember to limit to patch 1 at a time so that it does not take down your whole host pool). That is it.

Regards - Joseph