2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2016 1:25 PM by Erick Kendall RSS

Installation Process

Erick Kendall Newbie
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Completely new to Nimble, Cisco USC and installing VMWare

At a high level what would be the process of configuring a Cisco UCS 220 with VMWare 6.0 utilizing Nimble CS300 storage

• Re: Installation Process

Erick,

A few questions. 

1) What kind of UCS system are you running?  Is it a standalone rack mount server (C-series) or is it Managed with a pair of UCS Fabric Interconnects?

2) What protocol are you running on the Nimble Storage array (iSCSI or Fibre Channel) ?

3) Are you planning to use a local hard disk to boot from or are you going to use SANboot? 

Steve

• Re: Installation Process
              Erick Kendall Newbie

1) What kind of UCS system are you running?  Is it a standalone rack mount server (C-series) or is it Managed with a pair of UCS Fabric Interconnects?

2 - UCS C220 there's a Cisco 3850 switch I forgot to mention so I'm guessing interconnects

2) What protocol are you running on the Nimble Storage array (iSCSI or Fibre Channel) ?

Nimble CS300 using 4 10 GB and 1 GB Ethernet connection - I understand we're using ISCSI

3) Are you planning to use a local hard disk to boot from or are you going to use SANboot?

My thought is you boot local and use the SAN for data storage though not sure what's more common or provides better performance