4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2016 10:58 AM by Stephen Gonzalez RSS

Cisco UCS Management Interface configuration (1 or 2?)

Alex Goltz Adventurer

I'm about to go live with my Cisco UCS blades, and I'm looking for some community feedback on a configuration question.

Part of this challenge, is that I haven't seen UCS Fabric Interconnects fail-over yet to see what impacts there are.  And I also don't know what the best practice is, since UCS architectures have been a so-called "game changer".
      Nimble's documentation in KB-000202 has shown them using 1 Management interface in failover mode.
      HOWEVER, this article (which has been extremely helpful), shows 2 management interfaces, each on a fabric, in failover mode.

What are users protecting themselves against, having two management interfaces in failover mode?
      (I do plan on having my vMotion traffic on the management interface(s).)

• Re: Cisco UCS Management Interface configuration (1 or 2?)
          Scout

the MGMT interfaces failover between themselves to phone home. If an FI was to drop, the MGMT ports failover - but the CTRL does not failover.  Best practice is to put port eth1 into FI0 and port ETH2 into FI1.  If you choose not to put eth1 into the same FI - it works fine.  But a loss of the ethernet port on eth1 would the array to failover CTRL after several heartbeat failures and if the other eth0 port was up.

most small nimble deployments don't attached eth1 and eth2 up for failover.