AnsweredAssumed Answered

UCS Mini and Nimble - Could use some help

Question asked by Brandon Pierce on Dec 2, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 7, 2015 by Kris Stitt

Hi All,

I implemented our CS300 into our existing environment a few months back with no problems, quick and easy and the thing just works great.

We're a very small office that typically buys 2 or 3 small servers a year (dell poweredge 1U, nothing crazy), so we have about a half rack of existing 1u servers.

We just made the jump to a Cisco UCS Mini with 3 blades and I have been running around in circles not only trying to understand UCS setup in general, but how to integrate it with our current server/network/san setup. We are currently running a vSphere 5.1/5.5 environment.

I've found a couple helpful documents from Nimble, but none of the topologies match what I have. Forgive my terrible Visio skills:

Capture.PNG

I have a small dell powerconnect 1gb switch stack (2 switches) for iSCSI. The Nimble has multiple 1gb connections from each controller to each switch in our iSCSI stack.

I have a larger dell powerconnect 1gb switch stack for everything else. Workstations, phones, and servers. Each server has 2 nics, each nic connecting to both the iSCSI stack and the "data" stack.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the way that the nics in the UCS FI's work and how those correspond to "vNICs". It would seem in my head that I would need to use pinning to pin 2 interfaces for data  and 2 interfaces for iSCSI and hook them up to the corresponding switches. Does that sound at all right to anyone? I appreciate any pointers.

Outcomes