3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2016 4:16 AM by Bonno Bloksma RSS

VMware Snapshots on Nimble

Craig Gill Newbie

Greetings,

I've been using Nimble for a while with our VMware instance and wanted a quick clarification:

Currently we have an hourly snapshot protection schedule on our Nimble arrays (3 of them). Someone in IT (that has since left) had created a daily snapshot job on the VMware side of things (using vSphere Management Assistant) that will take a list of all VMs in our vSphere world and snapshot them one at a time over 6-7 hours. There is also a cleanup script (that doesn't always function) that makes sure any previously created snapshot is removed before creating a new snapshot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this completely pointless since we are snapshotting on the Nimble side of things? I understand from a user perspective that it's not ideal since our virtual consumers can't really see Nimble snapshots yet in the Web Client (cmon guys release the new 2.3 fw already!!!), but we are constantly running out of space, as well as have VM's that have absurd snapshot sizes (75-150+ GB), as well as snapshots that are constantly getting orphaned and need to be manually cleaned up.