AnsweredAssumed Answered

ESXi snaps with memory taking longer to create on Nimble than other storage

Question asked by ron.fisher@craneae.com on Feb 20, 2015
Latest reply on Feb 24, 2015 by ron.fisher@craneae.com

Greetings,

Mind you I do not promote the use of vmware snaps for anything but the most short term use possible. That said, I've been doing some basic functionality testing of my vSphere 5.5 cluster, 9 BL460's software iSCSI connected over meshed 10GE to a new CS-500 (just upgraded to 2.2.5). So far things are blazing fast, MPIO is well balanced and I'm getting terrific compression using eager zeroed thick vmdk's.

I just noticed on two different VM's that if I do a vmware snap and include memory, the snap takes a crazy long time to create versus a VM on my fiber channel connected VNX. Leave off the memory and it it fast as it should be. I monitored file creation using the vmware datastore browser and all the diff files and snapshot memory files are created very quickly but the snap takes 15+ minutes for smaller vm's and close to an hour for a large (64GRAM with 3T storage (compressed to 600G thank you very much!).

I view the process in the Nimble console I see a constant stream of writes (300 IOP's) during the whole process.

Something to do with Compression on the Nimble or something else?

Thanks for any insight

R

Outcomes