AnsweredAssumed Answered

Hyper-V 2012R2 Cluster Through SMB 3.0 Shares

Question asked by crw on Oct 7, 2014
Latest reply on Oct 14, 2014 by David Jay

Anyone utilizing a Hyper-V 2012 R2 environment whereby they are front-ending their nimble group through a highly available 2012 R2 file server cluster and utilizing SMB 3.0 shares versus mapping iSCSI storage to each clustered host and utilizing CSV's? If so, I am curious how this is working for you?

I am asking because like an NFS setup with ESXi for example, such a scenario could go a long ways towards simplifying an environment, making scaling the environment considerably simpler, both from a host perspective as well as from a storage management perspective. I am enjoying the eased simplicity of SMB 3.0 in our lab environment (4 node HV 2012 R2 cluster with 90 or so dev/qa VM's). I also have been finding that performance of SMB 3.0 over 10gb is definitely on par or beyond when compared with CSV's.

Curious to hear from others who may be running or have experimented with such a solution.

And to add to this quickly, anyone else doing something similar whereby creating a number of larger volumes on their arrays and front-ending their Nimble through an NFS gateway for their ESXi environment versus managing iscsi on each host? Curious how the performance would remain if the NFS gateway could be kept from becoming a bottleneck.

Outcomes