I have a few questions for a new install. Both data and logs for SQL and Exchange will reside on vmdk's. We plan to separate the OS, data & logs onto different datastores.
- Is the Window's NPM required on the VM to take application consistent snapshots? Or is it handled by the VMWare tools?
- Is it safe to set the performance policy of the datastore of the data and logs to VMWare5? Assuming they used the default allocation size for NTFS.
- For the snapshots synchronization I assume I would set it to VMWare. Correct?
- For SQL, they are planning to setup replication via a log shipping tool. Is there anything special to take into account?
- For SQL, if I have multiple databases sharing a datastore for data & logs is there an issue with them all taking a backup at the same time?