4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2014 9:32 AM by Amirul Islam RSS

Nimble Setup Manager Questions

Michael Lindsey Newbie

Just getting started with Nimble, I have it racked and connected to the switch. I am also directly connected to the same switch/network, but the Nimble Setup manager will not find the array. Any suggestions?

It's on a 10.1.45.X network. I am attached to that same switch and am getting a 10.1.45.61 address. There is no DHCP but I cannot find the array to configure the interface.

Thanks,

• Re: Nimble Setup Manager Questions
          Scout

The Nimble Setup manager must be installed on your windows machines. The array is using a UDP broadcast to announce itself to the install software (no IP assignment needed) on the same subnet.

Things of note:

You must be running the same level of install software to OS. So 1.X software for 1.4 code, and 2.X software for 2.X code.

I have seen switches auto-disable the eth1 ports as they see the UDP broadcast as a port storm.

Make sure the both nimble controllers are running - press the power button once (quick push tell the passive controller to boot)

As a last resort:

Run the serial console software with the following settings:

Data bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop bits: 1

Speed: 115.2Kbps

Attach to the serial port on the A ctrl - and run "setup" form the commend line.  If the password doesn't work, then the B ctrl is active. Move cable to b ctrl and try "setup" from there.

As always you can call support and they will help you immediately.

Setup can be run interactive or as a single command line.

Here's an example of just doing the setup from a single command line:

$ setup --name nimbleclisetup --domainname admin.nimblestorage.com  --dnsserver 8.8.8.8 --ntpserver time.nimblestorage.com --timezone America/Los_Angeles --subnet 10.12.147.253/255.255.0.0 --subnet_type management,data --subnet  10.12.155.253/16 --subnet_type management,data --subnet

10.12.0.0/255.255.0.0 --subnet_type management,data --subnet 10.12.0.0/16 --subnet_type management,data --array_ipaddr  10.12.147.253 --discovery_ipaddr 10.12.145.253 --data_ipaddr 10.12.153.253 --data_ipaddr 10.12.155.253 --data_ipaddr 10.12.157.253 --data_ipaddr 10.12.159.253 --support_ipaddr 10.12.149.253 --support_ipaddr 10.12.151.253  --default_gateway 10.12.255.254

• Re: Nimble Setup Manager Questions
            Amirul Islam Adventurer

Also try the following:

Remove all network connections to both controllers but leave only one.

Remove all connections from the controllers to the switch and connect your laptop directly to eth0/M on one controller using a UTP cable. If that doesn't work, try the other controller.