AnsweredAssumed Answered

Nimble Storage, Hyper-V R3, SMB 3 and CSV

Question asked by David Jay on Aug 4, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 23, 2015 by Chuck Colht

Hi!

We are going to update our Hyper-V stack from Windows 2012 Hyper-V R2 to Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V R3.

We have been presented with a setup from an MS partner where storage is managed using MS servers with SMB 3, these servers connect to the Nimble Storage.

CSV volumes will be presented to the Hyper-V stack from the MS SMB servers. The MS partner prefers this setup and says this is the way to go in the future with Hyper-V, where we abstract the Nimble storage using the SMB servers.

From what I've been able to read up on Nimble does not have support for VSS on Hyper-V enabling me to snapshot the VM's and/or (host) with application awareness. Is this correct?

Also from reading I am now unsure if I should only use the Nimble compression and no dedup etc on the SMB servers at all. This feels smart to be, except the using dedup on the OS volume of the Hyper-V servers I can greatly reduce storage space, like 10:1. Storage is not an issue, we have just received a pair of ES1-H65 boxes (one for each DC). This setup abstracts the storage from Nimble to MS but in the same time also adds a new layer where issues can arise.

What I am looking for is if anyone has done this type of setup, just to go back to the usual where the Hyper-V host servers connect with iSCSI to the Nimble Storage.

Thanks for all input.

Dave

Outcomes