5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2014 11:29 AM by Wen Yu RSS

does NimbleStorage support VCAI?

Peggy Wu Wayfarer
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Hi,

VCAI: View Composer Array Integration

As title, I would like to know about if Nimble Storage support?

or planning to support it?

• Re: does NimbleStorage support VCAI?

Hi Peggy,

Since this VMWare feature from what I can tell involves NFS (NAS snapshot offloading specifically) I can say with some confidence that we probably don't support the feature since presently we are an iSCSI only SAN today.  While we can't comment on the future here you could probably get a better idea on alternatives to VCAI with us or what the future holds by having a detailed conversation with your local Nimble sales team.

I hope this answers your question.

Best regards,

Michal

Scout

hi Peggy, Michal is correct - VCAI is specific to NFS storage.  Customers typically use linked clones for rapid provisioning of desktops - it provides both space savings as well as time to provision desktops.  Are you planning to consider linked clones in your VDI deployment?

-wen

Peggy Wu Wayfarer

Hi Wen,

Thanks for your comment. I also like your technical session and demo on yutobe.

Actually, it is not a specific project. when promote Nimble storage, customer always compare to spec of NetApp.

NetApp support VCAI though.

Except VCAI, it seems there is no other way to provisioning desktops rapidly, correct?

Scout

Hi Peggy,

Thanks for your response.  Actually, View Composer feature within Horizon View does provide rapid provisioning of desktops - the advantages of using View Composer (a.k.a linked clones) is 1)rapid provisioning of desktops in quantities large or small 2)built-in desktop lifecycle management (patching of golden image + re-provisioning based on newly patched image) & 3)storage space saving given the clones are sharing the same underlying base OS image.  Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions here.

-wen