46 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2015 9:35 AM by epedersen RSS

My Nimble Wish List

Jason Benway Adventurer

1. Integrate with Veeam backups. Veeam intergrates with HP and now NetApp, I know nimble is willing but veeam only seems to want to work with the established players

2. With Exchange running as a vm, do Exchange VSS snaps that clear the exchange logs.

3.VM centric backups and replication, not based on LUN/volume

4.Snap shot explorer to restore indivual files or emails without needing to mount to existing vm

Love my nimble storage,jb

• Re: My Nimble Wish List
          Todd Moore Adventurer

I definitely agree with your list. Adding comments below.....

1. I think it will come with time....

2. Agreed!

3. Vvols (when it actually ships) I think changes that.....

4. UFS Explorer Standard Access Learn it, live it, love it

Justin Strate Newbie

Would love some kind of Veeam partnership.

julez Adventurer

Nimble Storage supported powershell commandlets rather than community driven (I love the community, but wish it was supported by Nimble).

Ben Loveday Wayfarer

Here's a few things I'd be keen to see:

- FC support - would be great to be able to swap out those ethernet NICs for some Fibre HBAs as an option, particularly having support for FC direct connect (e.g. direct FC to two hosts without fibre switches)

- Mutliple SNMP trap targets

- RBAC - I know this is coming, good stuff

- Syslog support

- NFS or CIFS support would be an added bonus

- Remote power on - e.g. lights out management port. We often have power outages at sites and would be nice to be able to power on array remotely without requiring a fat finger.

- Support for replication to a non-Nimble target, e.g. NFS share or a virtual appliance

- Dedupe - this would be a nice to have

- A smaller 2RU model using the 2.5" Supermicro SBB chassis

- Better third-party monitoring & management support e.g. SNMP/SMI-S

- Kinda off-topic but a VSA type product would be cool, to compete with VSAN and HP Storevirtual VSA :-)

- An NFR virtual appliance for training/simulation/homelabs

Man this list makes me look greedy! haha.

Mark Harrison Adventurer

I think dedupe is going to happen

Nick Dyer Navigator

No comment...

Brian Riffle Wayfarer

I like many of Ben's items.. I have 3 more:

- More SSH keys (or maybe that will be part of RBAC) but I snapshot from my oracle servers.. I have more than 10.. Sharing an ssh key is an ugly hack..

- Better replication management.. 

-  Replication is usually awesome, but adding a new volume to replicate bogs everything down.  Let me do initial replication at a lower priority, and not using one of my 3 replication connections.

-  Along the same lines.. some of my volumes are more important than others.  Allow me to prioritize/QoS the replication connections.

- On disk encryption

- I don't really care if you store the key in firmware, etc. I'm more worried about when I have to send a bad drive back, I want to make sure its unrecoverable when its not in the array.

Ben Loveday Wayfarer

Oh yeah, thought of a few more last night in my sleep :-P

- Some kind of QoS mechanism would be nice, I guess this might happen with VVOL support coming, would be nice to give particular VM's priority over others, etc. E.g. granular caching, rather than just enabling caching on a whole Datastore, or putting priority on hot cache queue

- SSL cert import for web management - think someone else has mentioned this before

- Oh, along the lines of my FC comment previously, even the option of chucking in some SAS HBAs and doing DAS between two-four hosts would be cool, kinda like the HP MSA SAS controllers can. Again just gives more connectivity options and the chassis support swapping out the HBAs - in theory :-)

- A central management tool of sorts would be handy. Infosight is bloody awesome but in some cases having internet connectivity to the array could be difficult. Also if you had multiple arrays it could help to manage them.

Think thats about it for now! Keep up the good work fellas :-)

Mitch Gram Adventurer

Ben,

Regarding "Central Management", Nimble OS version 2.x allow for up to four nimble arrays to be managed under a single UI.   You simply join arrays on the same management network to a group and you can then access them all from one place.   Optionally, you can take members of the group and join them in a pool to aggregated capacity and performance,  but if this is not a need for your environment, you can simple not pool resources and just management each array separately but from the same console.

Chuck Colht Wayfarer

My wish list:

Multi-tenant support

Destination end space and bandwidth control

Source and destination volume and collection name difference allowed

Replication controlled at the destination rather than the source

Solid segregation of network traffic between customers

Pools below the array level (customer buys 5T, they only can grow to 5T)

AIX support

NAS support

I think we need something like IBM's SAN Volume Controller that sits in front of a bunch of arrays providing services like this.

Michael Chadwick Newbie

Some small pieces of my wishlist (mostly with the vCenter plugin)

1) When creating a datastore with the vCenter plugin, it always adds 4 0's to the end of the datastore name in the Nimble management console and plug-in view

- Also allow the underscore in the name

2) Be able to choose performance policy when creating a datastore

Definitely agree with the Veeam support and FC support as well.

Nick Dyer Navigator

Hi Michael,

I had a chat with the VMware Plugin engineering team last week re appending zeros to the end of the volume name, and we've opened Request for Enhancement 57114 to track this requirement. If you (or anyone else to that matter) wish to increase focus from engineering please email support referencing this RFE to add your details.

Steve Galbincea Wayfarer

*Whistles*

Jason Liu Adventurer

"2. With Exchange running as a vm, do Exchange VSS snaps that clear the exchange logs."

Doesn't Nimble already have this feature?

Matthew Andersen Adventurer

Jason Benway wrote:

2. With Exchange running as a vm, do Exchange VSS snaps that clear the exchange logs.

This is supported in the 2.1.4+ code release.   Providing you are doing iSCSI attached volumes from within the guest OS.

julez Adventurer

Recent update to the Nimble wishlist.

Nimble Windows Toolkit version cannot be different than the Nimble OS version (older or newer).  If they are different then the VSS snaps fail completely which was confirmed by Nimble support.

The Nimble Windows Toolkit requires a reboot and the servers would need the reboot may not be able to be scheduled for maintenance the same time the Nimble OS can be updated.

Please fix this if possible.

Paul Frisoli Adventurer

• Exchange logs and datapoint recovery: For specific data point extractions, you can manually clone and present the clone as a Recovery DB, and then extract the needed data. Exchange aware recovery points without truncation can be done as long as the verify option is disabled on the Nimble scheduler. Your media server can then be used to provide the verify state. Nimble non-verify backups are considered an Exchange copy backup, whereas a verify is considered full backup which truncates the logs. NOS 2.1 allows for a verify with either database inclusion or exclusion (whereas only the log files would be verified). This allows for a faster verify and log truncation.
                                          • Datapoint VM Recovery: Yes, mount the datastore clone, re-signature the clone, and then extract the necessary files for recovery. You will want to present to alternate guest if original vmdk is online, or remove original vmdk so not to cause a UUID conflict.
                                          • Nimble Snapshot Awareness: Yes, Nimble is application aware with both VMware and Microsoft and you will want to spread out the scheduling so to avoid collisions with either the VSS writer or VCenter (VCenter call to VMTools). If the Volumes are directly mapped to the guest then Nimble and VSS will interact directly, if at the VMDK level and SQL/Exchange are present within the VM, the tools will communicate between the two and the snapshot will be a non-verify and treated as a copy, thus no log truncation.

Andrew Wark Wayfarer

Heck I'm willing to settle for something simple like being able to delete multiple volumes with the checkbox on the manage volumes tab. Right now I have to go into each one and delete it individually... real pain in the rear when dealing with a lot of volumes.

And the per VM snapshot... well we kind of do that now with VMWare replication from our Nimble to the Compellent we have with more space but less horsepower (great for dumping VM replicas, could run them in a pinch which is why it's DR).

Paul Frisoli Adventurer

Check with Support - they may have a script that could help with this process. thanks.

Ben Loveday Wayfarer

Hmm, while I think of it, I'd like to see RBAC with LDAP/RADIUS support, not just the ability to create multiple local accounts. From a security and traceability perspective the local user accounts just doesn't cut it for me...still a step in the right direction though!

Mark Harrison Adventurer

I've got a wish that shouldn't be too hard to implement. Allow for a choice between number of snapshots to be kept OR number of days to keep snaps. Particularylt handy if you are using a third party to initiate array based snap and replicate. Commvault keeps snaps in days or cycles or a combination..

Taylor McMullin Wayfarer

If you're using a 3rd-party tool to initiate snapshots and replication, you probably don't want to use the same Nimble built-in mechanisms at all.  Because the two methodologies are unaware of each other, they don't coexist well - I've seen a number of customers get into bad places when two different mechanisms try to backup Exchange, for example.  Unfortunately, you don't realize the problem exists until you need to do a recovery and then it becomes an RPE.*

* Resume-Producing Event.

Mark Harrison Adventurer

Hi Taylor,

I was thinking more in terms of the replication snapshots. Instead of specifying the number of snaps to keep on the replication array use the number of days/hours. For example let commvault drive the snapshots using its retention in terms of time and then let the replication follow suite. If commvault does a daily with a retention of 7 days then I'd like to be able to keep replicas for seven days rather the 7 snaps. Why? I may take manual backups with commvault for operational reasons within the 7 day cycle so there might be 10 or more snaps within the 7 days and therefore I could end up with only 4 days of snaps on the replication array. Hope I made it clear?

Taylor McMullin Wayfarer

I see what you mean - you weren't talking about using two different mechanisms to create snapshots, you were comparing it to how Simpana has separate retention periods for primary and secondary copies and how each one can be based on number of snapshots and/or cycles.  I wouldn't think that would be too hard to implement.

It's funny how the scheduling Simpana that provides can be one of the harder things to get your head around when you're new to the product.  But once you get it, it's how you want everything to work.

Taylor McMullin Wayfarer

And I'll add onto the wishlist NCM for Linux (to include XenServer).

Amirul Islam Adventurer

Here is a simply request...either give us an easy way to get past the 'License Agreement' on a CLI install or get rid of it altogether!

Andrew Geiger Wayfarer

I'd like to see a top 10 list of volumes for IOPS and MB/s, preferably along the right on the performance graphs page.  Makes tracking down high storage consumers quicker when you have a large number of volumes.

epedersen Wayfarer

I'd like to see the Windows toolkit have a slightly more automated install.  Having to go through the list of prerequisite hot fixes is tiresome for a lazy administrator like me.