7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2014 9:28 AM by Jacob Wilde RSS

Maintenance? Really?

C W Wayfarer
    Visibility: Open to anyone

In the middle of the day, while customers may be relying on this information? This is the one area of Nimble I personally do not care for. Nimble puts a lot of emphasis on their InfoSight, but why not allow customers to maintain a large portion of this data internally themselves, like most every other SAN vendor does (Netapp, EMC, Equallogic)? Not that I have an issue with what Nimble is trying to do, but you/they need to appreciate that customers may come to rely on this service, and performing 'maintenance' to improve things middle of a working day, is not what I would consider a professional approach. That is of course unless this is a generic message and these services are down for other reasons..

Just something to think about.

nimble_web_maintenance.jpg

• Re: Maintenance? Really?
          Justin Rich Adventurer

You can get at pretty much all that info in the console, what were you looking to see?

also im guessing thats a generic failure page and they broke it, not so much that they were making "improvements"

Scout

Actually, there was a break in the connection between our data center and our colo facility. You're right CW, it's not a good idea to do maintenance in the middle of our customers' work day. InfoSight will be back up asap.

Justin Rich Adventurer

Thanks for the details Michael, we appreciate it!

Nick Dyer Navigator

Although this raises a good point - whilst the break occurred in the middle of the working day for certain parts of America, in Europe, Middle East, Africa and Australasia it could be technically classed as out-of-hours downtime. The downside to having a truly global business is that maintenance windows will have to be taken at some point (bugfixes, code updates, new features, hardware additions - we all know the reasons), and they will occur in someone's working day in the world somewhere.

C W Wayfarer

I understand, I certainly don't discount that, however with that being said, being a truly global company also means that those points should be taken into consideration when developing and deploying solutions that customers will come to rely on. Infosight being a perfect example. It is marketed as a unique value add, that sets Nimble apart. As such, some customers *may* buy into Nimble, with Infosight being a large selling point of the solution for them. I am not saying that is necessarily the case, but who knows.

High availability and resiliency should be a part of the back-end and front-end solution, especially as more customers come to rely on it. In my personal opinion, not having the ability to deploy a solution that customers rely upon, transparently and without any kind of downtime, is a lack of oversight this day in age. Especially when there are services a company is marketing. We provide hosting solutions to some of the major players in the NA Automotive industry. If we were not able to perform routine site maintenance, deploy new code and or features without interruption, are services would be cancelled. So of course it is possible.

Someone asked above, just what information is expected that you can not get directly from the array's themselves. Not a ton, however, what happens when your CIO comes to you and says "I would like to see utilization trend over the past 3 months, from that new online reporting tool the company we will just spend 350,000K to purchase arrays from, provides" And you have to respond with "Sorry, that information is not currently available to us right now because their web service that provides that information is offline." How do you think that looks?

Anyways, not a huge deal, but I am putting that out there, but I know eventually, that is going to come up. And it would be nice to know that Nimble is taking these situations seriously and understands that as they capture more market space, there is going to be reliance on these services that customers do not have the ability to host internally themselves.

Jacob Wilde Wayfarer

I would agree that better communication is a probably warranted (e.g. an outage isn't linked to maintenance), that being said I think if they were to alert you to the maintenance window ahead of time would that's acceptable. I would also point out that the Monitor > Space area of the GUI allows you to track space usage say over the last 90 days, granted it doesn't do projections for future consumption, but in theory that's not "I need it this second" information.

I would also point out that plenty of large web based companies (think Salesforce.com) do have maintenance windows where their platforms are unavailable for periods of time. It should definitely be the objective of the company to minimize the downtime of any outage or maintenance to their platform, but I think criticizing them for having some if a little harsh. Yes, it is definitely a great selling point and I know they're always working to increase the information available via InfoSight but I for one am glad I don't have to build my own data warehouse and maintain it to have access to this data; plus is free (you're $350K purchase didn't buy you this, it merely granted you access to the data).

Cheers!