AnsweredAssumed Answered

What is the ideal volume configuration for a Microsoft SharePoint 2013 VM?

Question asked by Alex Goltz on Feb 3, 2014
Latest reply on Feb 13, 2014 by Justin Rich

I am in the process of building a new SQL 2012/Sharepoint 2013 VM on Windows Server 2012 R2 VM.

I am using the following information as a guide from this TechNet article:  Storage and SQL Server capacity planning and configuration (SharePoint Server 2013)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configure databases

The following guidance describes best practices to plan for as you configure each database in your environment.

Separate and prioritize your data among disks

Ideally, you should place the tempdb database, content databases, Usage database, search databases, and SQL Server 2008 R2 with SP1 and SQL Server 2012 transaction logs on separate physical hard disks.

The following list provides some best practices and recommendations for prioritizing data:

• When you prioritize data among faster disks, use the following ranking:In a heavily read-oriented portal site, prioritize data over logs.
    1. Tempdb data files and transaction logs
    2. Database transaction log files
    3. Search databases, except for the Search administration database
    4. Database data files

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm considering the following volume setup:   (I am very open to suggestions)

1. C:\ - Standard ESX 5 Policy volume through vSphere (standalone) - 4KB cached
  2. D:\ - TempDB Data and Log together (Direct iSCSI from VM guest) 8KB Non-cached  (64KB NTFS cluster size)
  3. E:\ - Transaction Log (Direct iSCSI from VM guest) 8KB Non-cached  (64KB NTFS cluster size)
  4. F:\ - Transaction Data (Direct iSCSI from VM guest) 8KB Cached  (64KB cluster size)

Do I need a seperate volume for the search databases?   And does the Search Administration database go in the same location as the primary Transaction Log/Data?

Outcomes