Here is my take on some of the key differentiators for Nimble Storage – this is from last year but still relevant. What are next steps at Five9, Lithium etc.?
- First storage platform to be designed from the ground up to take advantage of new technology such as multicore processors & solid state drives; most others are based on older technology like single core processors and use SSD as the highest tier of storage – hence they put RAID on SSDs etc. which reduces the life of SSDs.
- Impeccable heritage – tech execs are formerly from NetApp & DataDomain; primary storage and back-up/DR features built into the same platform.
- Unparalled performance for the cost - use of software and SSDs as flash to deliver 15,000 (200 series) - 45,000(400 series) IOPS in a single 3U box with just 12x 7200 rpm SATA drives. Legacy vendors require an entire rack of SAS (~300 drives) or SATA (~500 drives) spindles to deliver the same performance; Nimble dissociates performance (IOPS) from number of spindles. Each 3U box consumes just 500W so we get savings on rackspace, power and cooling. Great platform for VDI.
- ALL software (for replication, data protection etc. – SnapMirror, SnapVault, FlexClone equivalents) is included at no additional cost as is full redundancy (dual controllers, power supplies etc.).
- Only platform that can scale in 3 directions: Up for performance (200 series controller to 400 series controller), Out for capacity and performance(cluster up to 4 boxes together) and Deep for capacity (add 3 shelves of up to 45 TB each per 3U array) à maxing out at 180,00 IOPS & ~900TB.
- Most efficient snapshots in the industry – each box can hold up to 10,000 snapshots locally. DR is easily achieved with a second 3U box.
- All human tech support is Tier 3 only; tier 1 and tier 2 are taken care of by 4th Gen Auto-support (NetApp was 1st gen – this is written by the same person) that sends a heartbeat every 5 minutes which sends back info on 600 parameters.
- Numerous awards and customers love them – see below: