5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2013 2:12 PM by Wen Yu RSS

Using vCenter Operations Manager

Scout

Hi everyone, just curious to see if you are using vCenter Operations Manager to monitor/troubleshoot health & performance issues in your VMware environment.  If yes, could you post here and tell us what you think?

I have it deployed in the lab here @ Nimble and created a datastore group which contains all Nimble datastores - that way i could get a holistic view of how they are doing as a point of reference before I login to Infosight:

vcops.png

• Re: vCenter Operations Manager, are you using it?
          Kevin Kumpf Wayfarer

We have it deployed and use it from time to time, usually to troubleshoot performance problems.  From my experience most of the useful features come from the enterprise licensing which unlocks the Analysis and Reports tabs.  One of the most useful features I've found for storage admins is the ability to see a heat map of all VM's in a given datastore.  The size of the VM in the heatmap is relative to I/O or KB/s being consumed and makes quick work of identifying misbehaving VM's.

Darren Dudgeon Newbie

This is just what we were looking for to get a better handle on Capacity Planning. Thanks for posting this!

Scout

Hi Kevin, what about from latency perspective? How do you determine that from vcops?

Kevin Kumpf Wayfarer

For the enterprise licensed version we like to look at latency in one of two ways in vCOps:

1- For a quick how do things look right now view, we use the heat maps as described earlier.  In addition to I/O and average KB/s they report the current latency.  Choose a target datastore and use the "Analysis" tab > Focus Area "Storage" > "For each datastore, which VMs currently have the highest I/O usage and latency?" report (please excuse the watermark!):

vcops_heatmap_latency.PNG.png

2- If we really need to dig in and analyze latency over a period of time we use the Metric Charts.  Choose a target datastore (or individual VM) and use the "Operations" tab > "All Metrics" tab.  Here we use the Metric Selector to drill into our area of interest and render the desired graphs.  All of the information you're used to finding in the advanced vCenter graphs is tracked and reported here as well, but what sets it apart to me is its ability to by default retain data much longer (months +) which in turn makes looking at historical data and trending rises over time a much easier feat.  Here I'm looking at both read and write latency (ms) for a datastore:

vcops_allmetrics_latency.PNG.png