Frank Migliaccio

Exchange item-level through storage-group restore

Discussion created by Frank Migliaccio on Jun 4, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 by rugby01

I remember that before I had Nimble in the rack that I would wake up worrying about my backups.  Did the FULL to tape complete?  Will the tape work when I need it to?  Will Iron Mountain get it delivered quick enough?

With Nimble all of those questions were answered.  I have CS240's in my production datacenter replicating to my DR/BC site in Las Vegas.

I have 2 arrays in Garden Grove, CA each with three 1TB storage LUNs and one 1TB log LUN assigned to my Active/Passive MS Cluster Exchange 2007 Mailbox server.  I have about 2.5TBs of mail over 1500 mailboxes.  I've configured a "Volume Collection" with the Exchange LUNs and set a daily snap that replicates to the DR/BC site as well as a weekly "schedule" that creates a FULL with a longer life span than the dailies.

When a restore is needed I clone the appropriate snap, assign it to the servers, mount the LUN and assign an unused drive letter (typically R:\ - recovery).  I use Lepide "Exchange Recovery Manager" software to open the offline .edb file,  browse and select what I need to restore, specify a destination (I usually export to .pst files which I inject or send to the user).

That's it... no recovery groups... no merge worries... simple!

Outcomes