AnsweredAssumed Answered

vCenter permissions when using the plugin

Question asked by Rick van Vliet on Jan 2, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 3, 2017 by Rick van Vliet

In our company we have lots of Engineers that are responsible for customer VM's and this involves creating and growing datastores in which the Nimble plugin comes in great.

We did have an issue when limiting permissions in vCenter, after setting the correct permissions in vCenter I was able to manually create and expand datastores but when trying this with the Nimble plugin it just returned an error saying "No Permission()" without any kind of error code.

image.png

The lack of a proper error code was a bit frustrating as it gives you no lead into a direction into which to search.

As a user with Administrative permissions there was no problem and as said before I could manually to all the steps needed to grow or create datastores. So it seemed that the Nimble plugin does something extra.

After talking to Support about this we came to the conclusion that the best way to troubleshoot was to give all permissions an remove them until it breaks, which would be very time consuming but if it would solve the problem it's the best option.

I eventually found the "holy checkbox", the Tasks permission, it appears that when a datastore operation is initiated from the Nimble plugin this is done via a task, as I started my initial role within vCenter as a copy of the power user role this permission was not set. After setting the "create tasks permission it all came to life:

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 12.57.35.png

After setting only this permission and trying to grow a datastore I was getting some nice error messages from vCenter which helps to set the rest of the permissions needed for engineers.

image (1).png

As the need for the "Tasks" permissions is not really documented in the Nimble Documentation I can imaging others out there are searching for this, and I would post it here hoping it will help someone along the way.

Outcomes