Nimble Storage At VMworld Europe 2015 - Recap
by Nick Dyer – Senior Systems Engineer
VMworld is among the most important events on Nimble Storage’s calendar, both the San Francisco show (held every August) and the European show in Barcelona, which recently concluded in Mid-October. It provides an excellent opportunity for learn about the latest in virtualisation technology, as well as to meet with 10,000 VMware fans from all over Europe.
This year’s message was “One Cloud, Any Device, Any Application” – with a focus extending from the software defined data centre to the Internet of Things (IoT). It was clear from the conference presentations that some of the critical components have now passed the evaluation stage and are being used in deployments in enterprise data centres – mostly NSX (VMware’s Virtualised Network solution, acquired from Nicira) and software defined storage with Virtual Volumes (also known as VVOLs) and VSAN. Indeed, the most in-demand hands-on labs were those on deploying NSX & VVOLs.
Every year Nimble Storage sponsors and participates in the Solutions Exchange – a huge dedicated hall where ecosystem vendors and partners can demonstrate their latest technical previews for end users and partners.
This year we had live demonstrations of our latest technology running on our booth, which included:
- The Power of One: How the Nimble Storage Adaptive Flash platform is suitable for any virtualised or non-virtualised workload.
- Our VMVision
- Sneak Preview of VMware’s Virtual Volume integration as part of vSphere 6.0 & NimbleOS 2.3
- The industry’s most granular & efficient software suite, including the newly released AES-256-XTS Encryption-at-Rest
We had many outstanding conversations at the booth this year, both with new and current customers & partners alike. Here are some of my favourite comments:
- “We love Nimble so much after seeing it at last year’s VMworld, we just had to stop by and thank you for doing what you do!”
- We’ve moved 98% of the workloads across to Nimble from the old Netapp… we can’t move the last two as the Nimble array is too fast for them and they can’t keep up!”
- “Our current HP 3PAR SAN requires us to pay £6500 in additional software licenses and support for every drive we buy. I can’t believe Nimble will give us a better software suite at no additional licensing cost.”
Nimble also had a dedicated break-out session, in which we presented Real-World Best Practice Designs for VMware Virtual Volumes & Per-VM Monitoring. The session was designed to be an agnostic view of the benefits, as well as the pitfalls of Virtual Volumes within an enterprise datacentre, and it was standing-room-only.
Each day we raffled off quite possibly the must-have toy for fellow geeks – the Star Wars BB-8 Droid! Congratulations to each of the winners, I’m incredibly envious of your new toys.
Stay tuned in the coming weeks as we plan to run the session as a live webinar, accompanied with a live demo, with some complimentary blog posts on NimbleConnect.
Aside from the show floor, it was great to be at the coal-face of the IT Industry for four days and meet with so many enthusiastic customers and partners, both at VMworld as well as the many after-hours parties held around Barcelona that week – the highlight once again being the Veeam party at Shoko, but an honourable mention to the VMworld Party who hired Faithless for a once-in-a-lifetime set. Being a big electronic music fan, it was great to have worlds collide for a brief moment.
So that wraps up another fantastic week at VMworld Europe, and I’m already counting down the weeks to VMworld Europe 2016, which once again takes place at the fantastic Fira Grand Via in Barcelona in Mid-October 2016. I hope to see you there!
(i'd like to credit Barry Coombs with the use of his pictures for this blog. If you would like to read more indepth on the messages from VMworld & keynote sessions, be sure to visit his blog here: Define Tomorrow).