Groups are collaborative places where people can work together and share information on a specific subject. You can join existing groups or create your own and invite people. Four different levels of privacy allow you to choose who can view and contribute to a group as well as how they gain access to the group.
Before you create a new group, consider the purpose of the group and how you can attract members who will participate regularly. The way you name the group and the tags you assign it are ways you can make it easy to find for those who are interested in it.
To create a new group
- Click Create > Group. (Group appears under the Places section)
- When the new group page loads a pop-up will appear with some details about the group.
- Enter a title for your group. Make sure to avoid abbreviations that others might not know to help your group be found easier.
- Enter a description for your group. This should reflect the purpose and communicate to the users joining the group what you are trying to do with the group.
- Enter any tags that are needed to help search find the group.
- Determine the type of group you wish to create. The group type will determine how the users can access the group and what they will be able to see as a non-member.
- If using Private group types: Determine if you want the group to be externally accessible. This will allow you to invite users that are not members of your community, like partners or contractors, to collaborate in this group and only this group. They will be invited by their email address and have no other access to the community.
- Click the Advanced Options link.
- Choose whether you wish to use the group Activity & Pages, Overview page or Activity & Overview Page.
- Once you are finished, click the Create Group button.
Configure Other Group OptionsWhen you create the group there are other options that are available only after it’s been created. Click the Configure button at the top right to open up these options (note: this is the same button you’ll use to edit the activity page).
- In the Enabled Features and Content Types window click the gear button on the top right corner. Here is where you can choose which features and content types your group needs. Note, not all groups need all of the features.
- In some cases your community might offer stream integrations where you can feed in activity from other systems like Salesforce, Facebook, Twitter and many more. There might also be an option to hook up external storage providers like SharePoint, Box, Google Drive and many more.
- Optionally you can also add a place image in the top left corner to give your group a logo or change the banner of the group by clicking the Banner Design button.
- Once you’re done with the options, click the Save button in the bottom left corner.