The Nimble Docker Volume plug-in is part of the Nimble Linux Toolkit.
To use Docker, the following prerequisites must be met.
- NimbleOS 3.4 or higher
- CentOS 7.2 and above
- RHEL 7.2 and above
- Ubuntu LTS 14.04
- Ubuntu LTS 16.04
- Docker 1.12.1 or later to use either as a standalone engine or with SwarmKit
- Docker 1.12.1-cs or later to use either as a standalone CS engine or with UCP
Linux distributions require iSCSI, XFS userland tools, multipathing and sg3_utils to be installed.
On RedHat and CentOS hosts, use root access from a terminal window and enter the following command:
[root@ ~]# yum install -y device-mapper-multipath iscsi-initiator-utils sg3_utils
On Ubuntu hosts, use root access from a terminal window and enter the following commands:
[root@ ~]# apt-get update
[root@ ~]# apt-get install -y multipath-tools open-iscsi sg3-utils xfsprogs
Follow the steps documented on the Docker website to install the latest Docker Engine on your Linux host https://docs.docker.com/engine/installation/.
The Nimble Docker Volume plugin supports the following capabilities:
- Create Docker volumes backed by Nimble Volumes to efficiently persist application data and specify various volume options.
- Clone a Docker volume in order to have multiple copies of production data for development and testing.
- Import Nimble volumes from existing environments into a Docker environment.
- Import clones of Nimble volume snapshots into Docker.
- Make Nimble based Docker volumes available on any Docker container node.
- Remove Nimble volumes from Docker control.
- Delete Nimble volumes from Docker to reclaim space.
- Set defaults for Nimble based Docker volumes.
- Set filesystem defaults for Nimble based Docker volumes. The following create time attributes can be set in the /opt/NimbeStorage/etc/docker-driver.conf file:
- Performance policy
- Pool name
- Folder name
- Thick or thin provisioning
- QoS Limits
- Protection Templates
- Assign one of several predefined performance policies to Docker volumes.
- Specify QoS Limit by either IOPS or throughput (MB/s)
- Assign volume to a predefined protection template
- Multi-protocol: iSCSI or Fibre Channel
The plugin is available to Nimble customers through InfoSight