Install NCM with the ESXCLI Utility
To install the Nimble Connection Manager (NCM) using the ESXCLI utility, you must have:
• The downloaded NCM installation package: See Download the NCM Installation Package
• An SSH client on the Windows or Linux host, such as PuTTY
• Root access to the ESXi host
• A 15 minute interval when your ESXi host can be offline
The installation procedure for NCM is the same for ESXi 5.0, 5.1, and 5.5.
This method is also known as an offline bundle installation.
To install NCM using the esxcli utility:
1. Place the ESXi host into maintenance mode from the vSphere Client.
2. Launch your SSH client on the Windows or Linux host.
3. Type the IP address of the ESXi server into the Host name: field, then click Open.
4. Log into the ESXi server as the root user.
5. From the root directory, run the command:
esxcli software vib install -f -d /tmp/nimble-ncm-x.x.x-xxxxxx.zip
Where x.x.x is the version number and xxxxxx is the build number of the NCM installation package.
• Type the absolute path to the NCM download. Do NOT use a relative path.
• Do NOT use any spaces or special characters in the path.
6. Reboot the ESXi host.
After the installation:
• Nimble Connection Service (NCS) automatically creates optimal number of sessions for each Nimble volume.
• Nimble Path Selection Plugin (PSP) automatically claims the available Nimble devices, including both existing devices and devices added later.
For most applications, NCS and PSP require no configuration.
Next, go to Verify NCM Installation.
Verify NCM Installation
To verify installation of NCM on the ESXi host, you must have an SSH client on the Windows or Linux host, such as PuTTY.
To verify installation of NCM:
1. Launch your SSH client on the Windows or Linux host.
2. Type the IP address of the ESXi host into the Host name: field, then click Open.
3. Log into the ESXi host as the root user.
4. From the root directory, run the command: esxcli software vib list | grep nimble
If nimble-ncs and nimble-psp appear in the list, the installation was successful.